Does Bleaching Mold Really Work?

It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookShare on Google+Pin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterPrint this pageShare on TumblrShare on LinkedIn

You most likely have already heard about the theory that the key to mold removal is bleach. The bleach industry, as well as the community which believes in do-it-yourself techniques, spread this idea as a fool proof way to permanently get rid of mold. After all, with a chemical as powerful as bleach, how can mold ever survive?

The problem with this technique is that no one has ever really validated whether it actually works in the long run. No one has checked if it is truly a permanent solution, if it is only a short term solution to mold, or if it is even helpful in eliminating mold. In reality, bleach is not as effective as what bleach companies would want you to believe. Not only will bleach not do its supposed âjobâ of keeping mold at bay, but it might also prove to pose hazards for you and for your family.

The thing is, bleach does not reach the roots of the mold, and only manages to get rid of it on the surface area. In addition, when mold and bleach interact with one another, the bleach triggers the moldâs self defense mechanism, which involves the release of tiny and dangerous spores to the air in order to protect itself. If you happen to be cleaning up the mold infested area without wearing any protection like gloves or a mask, chances are these spores will penetrate your skin and your body, and will cause health problems. If you have also been using a rag in order to clean the mold, you are also likely spreading it to other parts of the house.

The number one thing that molds love is moisture, and bleach contains water. Not only that, chlorine, one of the active ingredients in bleach, is not strong enough to penetrate the porous area of wood or sheetrock where the mold roots are located. In addition, since bleach is an extremely acidic chemical, it can even damage the integrity of materials such as wood. In the end, you think you may have gotten rid of mold because you eliminated it on the surface level, but the truth is that you really did not, and you just made the wood where it is weaker.

Bleachâs acidity also does not help in keeping the strength of some of the most basic home building materials, including drywall. Not only will the bleach weaken the material, but it will also most likely spread the mold everywhere. You may not see the mold anymore, but it is still definitely there, waiting for it to be placed somewhere humid and moist where it can thrive once again.

Instead of doing DIY projects to get rid of mold, it is highly recommended by the Environmental Protection Agency that you call the help of a remediation company to get rid of mold, especially if the mold infestation has reached a large area of your home.

Restoration and remediation companies do not use bleach, but instead use chemicals that specifically target mold but do not destroy the integrity of the building material where they are found. More information on the mold removal process can be found if you visit our website